Thursday, March 25, 2010

Yoghurt













A friend in TorC has gotten the hook up for fresh whole milk from someone in the area with
cows. I told him I was interested and within a week I had a gallon of milk. Im not a big milk drinker and so had to think quick to figure out what to do with it. I looked into ice cream, gelato, cheese and finally decided that the easiest thing to do was to make yoghurt. The prep process only takes about 45 minutes, but the fermentation takes 12 hours. Here is what I did:
1. Procure some whole milk.
2. Heat milk to 180 deg F.
3. Put heated milk into quart Mason Jar.
4. Put hot milk into cold water bath and cool to 110 deg. F.
5. Add live yoghurt starter from previous batch or store bought.
6. Add flavoring and sweetener if desired.
7. Incubate at 90-110 def F for 12 hrs. (I used my hot spring water)
This stuff came out delicious! I made one plain batch and a vanilla sweetened with Agave nectar.





No comments: