Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tour of the Gila via Kayak
















This past weekend I went kayaking down the Gila river. We started at Woodys Corral near the Gila Cliff Dwellings and took out at the Mogollon Box, west of Silver City. We spend 4 days kayaking around 5o miles. The river had several types of water from flat to class III rapids. We pushed the limits for the types of crafts we had. I had never done white water up to this point, but plan on doing some soon again. I took several spills and one major flip. My boat took on lots of water even in small rapids, and if the rapids were long enough, by the time I got to the bottom of the rapid I was too unstable to make it through. We had snow 3 out of the 4 days, which made it uncomfortable to be wet the entire time. I would do it again in a heartbeat.







No comments: